Survey on Citizens’ Satisfaction Index
CONCEPT NOTE /INTRODUCTION
Nigeria’s public service plays a major role in the financial advancement of the nation. Public services are a key determinant of quality of life of citizens in any nation which is why delivering services to citizens is at the core of what most government agencies do. Most of these services define the level of productivity and competitiveness in the country.
Measuring citizens’ satisfaction with the delivery of public goods and services becomes imperative especially as there is a rising demand for high quality, transparent and accessible services on the part of citizens in Nigeria.
This program is planned with extraordinary spotlight on Nigeria's public organizations, particularly as the nature of services given by these establishments shape the confidence and trust in the government.
So far, the department have done the following CSI
- Productivity Assessment of Rice Production in Nigeria under the Anchor Borrowers’ Programme; - 2019
- Citizens’ Satisfaction Report on Services Provided by Nigerian Railway Corporation (Abuja – Kaduna Railway line); - 2020
- Total Factor Productivity in Nigeria (1991 – 2021);
- Citizens’ Satisfaction Report: A Public Sector Series Volume 1 (NDE, NHIS, FAAN, FRSC, FMBN, EDCs); - 2021
- Citizens’ Satisfaction Report: A Public Sector Series Volume 2 (NIMC) (currently in print); - 2022
The main objective of this programme is to gauge the level of satisfaction of the citizens. The specific objectives are to:
- Identify the bottlenecks, for example where administration deficiencies influence citizens’ confidence in the government.
- Determine the drivers of satisfaction;
- Make suggestions that will diminish trouble spots and smooth out help conveyance in such manners that will satisfy the citizens; and Provide relevant
- To identify key performance indicators for operating successful services;
- To gather data through administration of questionnaires on the satisfaction level of citizens
RATIONALE/RELEVANCE OF THE PROGRAMME
- Identify pain-points and obstacles that hinders or slows down productivity and its improvement in the economy.
- Feedback for Improvement: Conducting a citizen satisfaction survey can provide valuable feedback on areas where it needs to improve its services. Feedback from citizens can help identify the key areas of concern and take necessary actions to address them.
- Accountability and Transparency.
- Better Service Delivery.
- Identification of Best Practices: Conducting researches helps identify areas where is performing well and highlight best practices that can be replicated in other areas. This can lead to the implementation of new policies and procedures that can improve the overall effectiveness within the economy.
- Evidence-Based Decision Making.
- Data gather over a period of time help for easy computation of sectoral and national productivity indices.
TARGET SECTORS/’CLIENTS AND CUSTOMERS
All sectors within the economy (public (MDAs) and private sectors).
IMPLEMENTATION PROCESS/HOW IT WORKS
There are different methods that can be deployed for collection of data depending on what is to be measured some of which includes the use of trained observers with behavior checklists in experimental situations, quasi-experimental, field situations, interviews, tests, and questionnaires.
A default method is to develop a suitable template for collection of data, collect, collate and analyze data gathered, observe the rise and falls in the analysis, and make necessary recommendations to policy makers and authorities concerned.
IMPACT OF THE PROGRAMME
- To develop strategies that will help improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the services provided by the MDAs.
- Proffer solutions that can be implemented by the government for improved services.
- Identify strengths and weaknesses of the organization.
- Identify training and development needs for improvement.
- Provide information for succession planning.